The Global Architecture + Design program invites design, architecture, or sustainability majors or minors to create model cities that address climate change by reducing the environmental footprint of buildings. All courses are taught in English, and students take the required Future Cities Seminar; Future Cities Design Studio; and Science, Engineering, and Technology Workshop at CIEE Prague, and choice of electives at CIEE Prague and our partner institution, Architectural Institute in Prague (ARCHIP). Hands-on workshops with cutting-edge technology are led by experts from Prague’s architecture and design community. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
- Explore Prague Castle, Old Town, the modern Vila Muller, the theater, and opera.
- Investigate particularly interesting places, like a gentrification pattern that stretches to the suburbs, a natural corridor that includes old port structures, and the city’s largest Asian market.
- Visit a mining town that’s being reconstructed with a new identity.
- Take an overnight trip to a city like Brno, Vienna or Copenhagen, and get a sense of how the architecture and culture is different from Prague.
- Travel even more with optional trips organized by an international student travel company to Berlin, Krakow, and Vienna (additional fees apply).
Based at the Architectural Institute in Prague (ARCHIP), the program has three main components: Future Cities Design Studio; Future Cities Seminar; and Science, Engineering, and Technology Workshops. Instruction takes place in Prague and in other parts of the Czech Republic. A small student population of 60 to 85 Czech and international students per year allows faculty and students to openly communicate and creatively collaborate during instruction, tutoring, and evaluation of student works.
Courses are taught in English by CIEE-contracted faculty who also facilitate collaborative projects with local professionals and peers. Field trips to visit historical sites, new buildings, and environmental initiatives enhance understanding of cities in transition.
The program goal is to develop a language of technological design that creates immediacy between individual responsibility and the global environmental crisis, through close study of specific places, cities, and cultures. In Prague, we work with elements of history and tradition and take full advantage of new technologies and opportunities for global exchange.
|Education Abroad Advisor
||Make an appointment with Hannah Fischer at any time!
||Attend or watch an Ed Abroad 101 Session
||Current CIEE Calendar
Fall Semester with CIEE = Fall Quarter at PSU
Spring Semester with CIEE = Winter & Spring Quarters at PSU
|Areas of Study
||Explore the courses offered on this program
This program is a good fit for the following majors:
- Graphic Design
- Urban Studies & Planning
||Students enroll in 23 - 37 quarter credits per semester
||Reporting Live Capstone available during Fall & Spring Quarters
|Language of Instruction
|Host Country Language
|Class Standing Eligibility
|Minimum GPA Requirements
Must be in Satisfactory Academic Standing.
||Students must be:
- Majors or minors in Architecture, Environmental Design, Industrial Design, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, Sustainability Studies, OR
- Urban Design with 2-3 semesters of design studio or project-based courses in their major
||No previous language study required
||Click here to view the CIEE Program Fee
PSU Students receive automatic discounts on CIEE programs!
||Click here to view PSU Fees
All applications include a $50 non-refundable fee due on the application deadline. Students who do not intend to complete a program application are required to withdraw before the deadline, otherwise, the $50 application fee will
be assessed to the students' account.