Paris, the capital of France, is a major world metropolis. The Seine River traverses the city; its waterways, quays, and bridges are major thoroughfares, and also ways to see the city’s most famous monuments, such as the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre museum, and the Notre Dame cathedral. The city is known for its cafes (one for every 200 inhabitants); its parks (Bois de Boulougne, Jardin de Luxembourg, Bois de Vincennes); its street life and markets; and as a center for culture, art, fashion, gastronomy, and intellectual life.
The Contemporary French Studies (CFS) program, which began in 1999, offers strong French language instruction and a broad range of French-taught and English-taught courses about contemporary France. Qualified students have the option to design a French-only program and may audit or enroll in classes at the Université de Paris. The program accommodates students at many levels from low-intermediate to advanced French, and with varying majors. Students participating in the Contemporary French studies program have three options:
- Students with five or more semesters of college-level French or the equivalent can choose an all-French program and can also enroll in courses at the Université de Paris (French-only option)
- Students with four or five semesters of college-level French or the equivalent may choose a mix of courses in both French and English (Language and Culture option). Qualified students may audit or enroll in courses at the Université de Paris.
- For students with two or three semesters of college-level French, English-taught courses are available (Learner’s option).
Courses use a variety of materials—texts, both literary and philosophical; film; art; the educational system; and the architecture of the city itself—considered in the context of society and culture. Contemporary social issues are discussed in courses about politics, Francophone cultures, and Muslim communities in Europe. Many courses include outings, whether to observe and learn about the streets and neighborhoods of the city, or participate in conferences, classes, and debates in French educational institutions.
CIEE Program Fee Includes the Following:
- Tuition and housing
- Pre-departure advising and optional on-site airport meet and greet
- Full-time program leadership and support
- Field trips and cultural activities
- CIEE iNext travel card which provides insurance and other travel benefits